Sunday, September 13, 2009

September 6, 2009 – 40th anniversary photo

1/100f5.6ISO 10050mmRAW

Like I said in an earlier post, we had a miniature family reunion this weekend. Everyone got together because we had two children baptized (one mine and the other my niece) and a baby blessed (another niece).

After church today, we all went over to my sister-in-law's house for a big sunday dinner. Rachel's parents, Mike and Pam, had a question for me when we got out of the car.

"Chris, Mike and I would like to get a photo done." Pam said. "Since we just had our 40th anniversary, we want a nice portrait."

"Sure!" I replied. "When do you want to do it?"

"Right now, before we change out of our church clothes," she said. "We were just thinking of something here in the front yard."

"Um . . . okay." They had caught me completely off-guard. I quickly looked around for areas around the house that would work. Luckily, the neighbors across the street had this nice white fence, and I thought this would work well.

Is this my best work? No. I found several things I didn't like when I uploaded the photo to the computer. Their faces were in too much shadow, which I tried to fix with dodging in Photoshop Elements (which lightens parts of the photo). The tree in the backgound is right behind Mike's head. Too much of the photo is in focus. Mike's jacket is hanging funny. And for some reason, even at 1/100 of a second there was still a little bit of camera shake in the photo.

The only thing I can think of is I was a little "out of it" because I had skipped breakfast and lunch that day and was super hungry. But that's an excuse — I should have done a better job.

Overall, I thought the picture was okay and I hope my in-laws like it. That's what is most important. I am sending it to them today.

2 comments:

Brian Humecky said...

hi chris
Also the fence is to much in the middle of the picture..as in the fence ends up looking like it's the same height as the people in the picture. Another thing you might have done is put more flash to increase the contrast and hopefully put color in their eyes. Also the lady in the picture has her legs crossed that somewhat distinctive position.

You already said the tree somewhat growing out the head, you might put them in the shade to lessen the hardness of the light, and also shot at an angle that wouldn’t have put the fence through the middle of the picture and could have added some leading lines and more direct depth of field.

Nix said...

I liked it. I think this is a good picture, and I bet your in-laws love it.
Sure it may not be "perfect" but it's still a good picture.