Thursday, September 3, 2009

August 31, 2009 - Self portrait

1 secf8.0ISO 20029mmRAW

Well, it finally happened. I finally had a day where it was getting time to go to bed and I hadn't taken a single shot yet. I was sitting at my computer, trying to update the blog when it hit me.

Oh, crap! I thought. Here it is at 10:15 p.m. and I haven't taken any pictures!

I sat there wondering what I could do for a couple of minutes when inspiration hit me — do a self portrait!

I wanted this self-portrait to be realistic, to reflect how I usually do my photo work. So it had to be fairly dark. It might not be best for my eyes, but I tend to sit with the lights off so I can see the photos easily.

I set up my camera on a tripod, took a few practice shots, and then got serious. I realized right away that letting the light spill in from the kitchen didn't work for a pleasing portrait. So I attached my dedicated flash to the camera, pointed it at the ceiling, and set it to shoot in manual mode at 1/32 power (in case you're wondering, 1/2 power was enough to brightly light up the room).

I decided on ISO 200 and a full second exposure time (obviously I put my camera into manual mode in order to do that) to get a balance between a fast enough shutter speed to prevent motion blur and a slow enough film speed to prevent heavy graininess in the dark areas.

I also set the camera at head level so the angle of view might be like you were sitting down with me to look at the photos. Finally, I tried to eliminate distractions in the photo, so I cleaned up my desk (and put all of the junk on the floor). What you see in the photo is what I wanted you to see.

From beginning to end, this shot took less than 15 minutes to create, and that included using the 10 second timer on my shutter (I would press the shutter button, and then have 10 seconds to climb into my chair and position myself).

In hindsight, I wish I would have taken the time to set the camera to a wider angle (maybe more around 18-20mm) and move it closer to me and the screen. This might have further enhanced the perspective of you sitting down with me.

4 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

Having recently just gone through a move and with the kids starting school and being involved in a ton of stuff I have had quite a few of those days lately. Sometimes I am stuck with a dud to post (I put all of my daily photos on facebook), but occasionally my desperation results in inspiration and I am more than pleased and often surprised with what I come up with.

I like what you came up with in your desperation.

Chris said...

Thank you. I like how you put that -- "occasionally my desperation results in inspiration." I am going to remember that quote.

And give you credit, of course!

Brian Humecky said...

I think would be a functional funny picture is having your head directly in front on the screen so it makes it just an outline picture, and if the monitor was just white, would make a great black and white I think!!

Chris said...

Thanks for the good idea, Brian! I will keep that in mind for another photo down the road.