Sunday, October 11, 2009

October 2, 2009 - Water leak

1/125f8ISO 20024mmRAW

As a homeowner, I have come to realize there are all kinds of things that need attention and/or repairs around your house. Undoubtedly, one of the worst phrases you can hear is, "you've got a water leak."

And that's exactly what I was told yesterday.

Luckily, the leak was fairly simple and just a couple of feet from the city's water meter, so it wasn't too hard to find nor dig up. There was a sleeve put over the PVC pipe where it transitioned from 1-inch to 3/4-inch. The pipe had cracked coming out of the sleeve.

I had never worked with PVC before, but it wasn't too hard. Since I did all the work myself, it cost me only about $15. Much better than the $200 quote I had been given by a plumber!

This was a pretty straightforward shot. The sky was overcast, so there weren't any harsh shadows across the pipes. The f8 aperture setting helped insure everything was in focus, from the bottom to the top. I do wish I could have gotten the leak in the photo too, but it was too small to see from this distance. The standing water around the pipes and in the meter box, however, helps you know how bad the leak wss.

No comments: