Saturday, August 15, 2009

Dinner date at home

1/15f4.5ISO 80018mmRAW

My wife and I had a dinner date at home, after the kids went to bed. We grilled up some New York Strip steak, along with some loaded baked potatoes and asparagus.

I shot this with my 18-55mm IS lens, which allowed to go handheld without a flash -- even with such a slow shutter speed. Even with the IS lens, I made sure to hold my elbows in close to my chest, control my breathing, and just squeeze the shutter.

Shooting RAW helped me with the color cast from the indoor lamps. The wide f4.5 aperture helped put the background plate nicely out of focus.

In hindsight, I wish I would have turned the plate so the steak was place in the 12 o'clock to 4 o'clock position (instead of the 8 o'clock to 12 o'clock position it is currently in. This would have made the steak larger in the image instead of the potatoes.

No comments: