Monday, March 17, 2008

Photo Tip: Window Light Portraits

I know it's been a long time since my last post, and I apologize. I hope the simpleness and impact of this tip will make up for it.

Please take a look at my wonderful daughter below:


What a wonderful photo! But if it is simple to do, then what's the secret? All I did was find a window in the house that faces north and place a dark backdrop away from it.

During this time of the year the sunlight will never shine through a north-facing window. But the light sure does, and it creates a wonderful ambient lighting effect.

To maximize this effect, I took a dark quilt and draped it several feet behind her. Here's a shot showing how the window and black backdrop relate spatially to each other:


Because the light hitting my daughter's face is several stops brighter (or, in other words, several times brighter) than the backdrop, the backdrop becomes completely black. And because of the ambient lighting coming through the window, it creates soft shadows as it wraps around her face.

You can do this shot with any kind of camera that has a zoom lens. Just stand several feet from your subject and zoom in. This will isolate him or her against the backdrop and you won't see anything else in the background.

Try it yourself and you will see how easy it is!

No comments: